Doug firmly believes that the work of an organization should generally be done by its managers and employees, not by “hired guns.” A consultant is of greatest value to your enterprise when he or she is engaged:
1. To effect a rapid, permanent transfer of essential skills to key personnel.
2. To provide short-term advice or expertise that is not present among permanent staff members.
3. To make objective observations or coordinate activities as a neutral third-party (e.g., surveys and facilitated processes).
4. To supplement existing staff by performing one-time tasks requiring unique skills or experience.
5. To add long-term tangible value to an organization by developing or delivering a specific product or service.